12 CommentsFirst Impressions / By Scamp /

Thetatamigalaxyepisodeoneimpressionsandthoughtsandgeneralothercomplaintsabouthowthedialogueisdone

Thetatamigalaxyisimpossibletofollow. IwasdyingtoseeYuasabackinformafterhismasterpiecethatwasKaibaandthiscertainlylookedlikeitcouldbesomething. Anditcertainlyhasalotofthingstolikeaboutit. Theanimationiswierdlyfantastic. WellatleastwhenIwasabletolookatit. Myeyeswerestucktothegoddamsubstheentirewaythrough. Ialreadylikethefemalecharacterandherepiceatingofmeat. Shehasastrangepersonalitythatyoufeeltheneedtoknowmoreabouther. Ithasactuallyarathernicestorytotellwhichisarealshameanddoyouknowwhy? Becausetheyspeakwaytoofuckingfast.

Right, what that indecipherable jumble of letter is meant to symbolise is the first episode of Tatami Galaxy. It could be a wonderfully written piece of critique, and it probably is from what you can decipher, but trying to do so is headache inducing that you just can’t summon the enthusiasm to do so. Tatami Galaxy is great. It has some brilliantly witty turns of phrase such as ‘80% of people thought he looked like a demon, the other 20% were sure of it’ and the animation was hilariously brilliant when I was actually capable of taking my eyes off the bottom of the screen. But the just talk to fast. My eyes started to glaze over after about 15 minutes of this stupidly fast monologues the main character was spouting. I can’t keep up, plain and simple. Honestly, if I played this is slow motion I’d probably enjoy it far more. I want to like it! It has so much to like about it! But there’s no way in hell I can watch this series. They just talk too fast.

Now if you don’t mind, I think I’m going to need a little lie down after that.

This entry was posted in First Impressions and tagged , , . Anime: . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

11 Comments

  1. Posted April 23, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

    Weaksauce
    Moar animu grinding required

  2. luffyluffy
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

    Iknowexactlyhowyoufeel,Iactuallyhadtopauseatsomepointstoread, andsometimesthevisualswouldscrewupandrenderthesubtitlesunreadable.

  3. Posted April 23, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

    And once again, I am glad to have more or less passed on anime this season.

  4. Posted April 23, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

    I’m so gutted I couldnt enjoy this – Tatami Galaxy has got so much going for it, but its just impossible to follow without developing eyestrain or a headache.

  5. Posted April 24, 2010 at 12:47 am | Permalink

    I actually tried to read your first paragraph. Why? I don’t know.

    My head hurts now.

  6. Posted April 24, 2010 at 12:47 am | Permalink

    And it’s all your fault.

  7. Elysium
    Posted April 24, 2010 at 8:45 am | Permalink

    I actually managed to read your first paragraph without getting a headache. :D

    But… you’re right. They do speak to fast.

  8. Konan
    Posted April 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

    Haha I agree with you. His monologues are sooo fast!
    And now I see why another book from this author (Tomihiko Morimi) got cynically joked in Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OVA about his pretentious writing style.
    But actually, I enjoyed this first episode so I’m looking forward to watching second episode.

  9. Scamp
    Posted April 24, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

    @Aorii

    dubz plz

    @luffyluffy

    bothofourspacebarsarebrokenitseems

    @mefloraine

    Angel Beats, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Giant Killing, House of Five Leaves, Rainbow, Senko no Night Raid…yup, pretty cool season even if Yuasa plays his anime in fast forward

    @Caraniel

    I honestly had to lie down after watching it. Well, I wrote this post first, then lay down

    @Janette

    Now you know how I felt watching the anime

    @Elysium

    I probably should have put some really strange line in there for those who did read it. Like ‘hetalkedwaytoofastbutthatisbecauseIhaveareallyfineass’ or somethnig like that

    @Konan

    Ah trust SZS to make insanely obscure references like that

  10. heyheyho
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

    Ahh
    after Gyagu Manga Biyori, this was a piece of cake, actually…

  11. Scamp
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

    @heyheyho

    I thought nobody ever subbed that

One Trackback

  • Categories

  • Anime

  • Latest MAL Articles