Editing the pictures both for this post and the sidebar image was a bit of a challenge due to the spirals. I really like how they look and the unease they created in the scene, so I wanted my entire post to feature them, but after barely 10 seconds of looking at the picture my head started to spin and I felt sick. So congrats to Nisemonogatari for making me feel queasy in a slightly different way to how it usually does.
Opening conversation between Arararagi and his sister was stupid, unfunny and pointless, doing nothing to advance either character and served no purpose other than Nision masturbating through a pen. Bleh, skip this scene and onto The Good Stuff.
Now this I fucking loved. I wasn’t so convinced by our new villain after his first appearance. It had that Another problem of going “ooh isn’t this scary ooh” while absolutely nothing was happening (granted, it was only happening during his scene, but anything looks good when compared to Another). But this episode cemented why this guy is creepy. Kaiki is a completely heartless creature, in an almost matter-of-fact way, yet with just enough of a sneer to his way of phrasing everything that it made you uneasy. Everything about the scene contributed to that effect. I talked about the spirals before, but there were other things such as how Arararagi’s sister started the scene in fiery mood, only to gradually lose confidence and eventually descend to pure fear as things progressed. There was something about the music and the gradual zooming in on our creepy villain that heightened the danger the longer the scene went on.
I really like characters that have a unique way of viewing the world and that governs how they act. Once you understand the logic that drives their psyche, it enables you to understand why they act the way they do. It’s one of the things I think Future Diary does really well with its side characters. Kaike’s logic runs like one of the most corrupt capitalists you could imagine. Everyone understands the value of money, and everything can be solved with that. Every deed can be justified if it’s done for money because both sides understand that. Or something along those lines anyway. Now I’m no economist, but his reasoning did seem pretty flimsy, but Karen can’t combat his statements because she’s been rattled. This dude is in control. I mean, look at this picture.
The floor fucking warps around his feet. He is in complete control of this mindfuck, and that’s what made it so compelling. But I did find myself wondering what a good counter to him would be. Inevitably someone is going to take him on in a war of words, because this is Nision. Of course he’s going to solve everything use word puzzles and sleights of vocabulary that I probably won’t get because it involves puns using kanji. But in such a situation, what would be the counter-argument to this guy’s claim that everything he did was legit because it fueled the capitalist machine? At a wild shot:
The capitalist system is based on a concept of trust in the value of money. This jacket was as advertised as a jacket before I bought it, and is a jacket when I got it. As a scam artist, you are not giving the money the value the people handing it believe it has. You are not feeding the capitalist machine, you are destroying it.
Yeah man, getting all neo-liberal up in this shit. Not sure if this is even the best argument, because I’m not entirely sure how Kaiki views the system. Maybe he just infected the girls (eewww) and then sold them the cures later? Or were they even cures at all? I’m still a bit confused on those exact details. There is the other fact that he’s just playing up his capitalist views to pretend he has a moral grounding, but so long as you get him to admit that then you’ve won the verbal duel. I’d be interested if any commenters can come up with a better retort, although I’d say 90% of you are bored silly by this (and the remaining 10% saying “come on man, that’s not neo-liberal at all, get your new age political terms correct”).
Rest of the episode? Some pedo incest stuff bla de bla I need to take a shower to rub all this smut out of my system.